Sunday, July 6, 2008

Flash Forward

While the panshy shell reminded me of things past, last week was also a time to look ahead for things to come. On Friday I finished my Cebuano course together with 10 of my classmates. By a funny twist of faith Friday was also my birthday, so as a result I had a double celebration and half a night’s sleep :). I was treated to a surprise party by my classmates, my host family and some of my new friends here.

I kinda felt like being on a crossroad in my life as so many things are changing. Today is Saturday and I’ve been working at my NGO for one week now. In between the many meetings – all of them in Cebuano - I am working my way through a large pile of documentation on the Mount Apo region, indigenous peoples’ rights, agroforestry plans and local government structures. Next week I will be spending my first week ‘on the field’ to observe some of the projects of Kapwa in the ‘bukid’. My colleague Maymay already warned me that it will be ‘tugnaw kaayo’ (very cold) there. Only 25 degrees, imagine that! I also moved to a new place again as travelling back and forth from Dona Asuncion to the office in Matina is quite tiring. My new address is: Dr. 9, Santos Land Compound, Duterte Street, Davao City. Oh, before I forget, it seems as though there is no end to the coincidences. This week is the 29th anniversary of Kapwa (July 3) ánd three people that are very close to me are also celebrating their birthday. In order of appearance, happy birthday to Nele (July 3), Anneleen (July 4) and Lieven (July 5).

Celebrating Kapwa's birthday at Eden Park.

No comments: