Friday, November 28, 2008

Thank God for Atheists


Last Friday, the electricity suddenly went off in the office of Kapwa, so the entire staff gathered in the kitchen to... convert me to christianity. I mean, seriously. I have been with Kapwa for some 4 months now. In the beginning, when people asked me what religion I practice, I kinda circumvented the question by saying that I was raised as a christian, without further specifying whether I also am a christian.

So I thought that, after 4 months, it would be ok to confide that I really am an atheist ("walay Ginoo"). My mistake... Most people can simply not imagine that one can live without religion. It is not that people do not respect you when you're an atheist, they simply cannot believe it. It is beyond them.

- How can you explain everything that existst on Earth?

- Evolution.

- But who created evolution? Haha! It must have been God!

Sigh... Think it's time for a good old secular revolution here. Whatever those bloody missionaries did some centuries ago, they surely did it thoroughly. But then again, in the end people are really just concerned. Nilo, our project coordinator, said he felt sorry for me that I will be clad with horns and a tail in hell while he is flying among the spirits in heaven. "Kalooy ka"... After Nilo had given it his best to convince me, he turned to his colleagues and said in a voice of disbelief: "He is not convinced...". Then, as by divine providence, the lights suddenly turned on again. Thank God!

2 comments:

LonelyTravelogue said...

He is in search for you dude' Just open it and all the question will fade away boy'

Godbless

-http://www.iamjherson.blogspot.com

Pieter said...

NOt quite the point I was trying to make, but I'll think about it ;)