Saturday, November 29, 2008

Rodrigo Duterte, Mayor of Davao City

Below is an interview with the mayor of Davao City, Rodrigo Duterte. It deals with the fact that in Davao, known criminals tend to turn up dead in the streets, shot down by a gang of dark-clothed men on motorcycles known as the Davao Death Squad. No one has ever been convicted for these killings. I will not comment on the interview, but I think you should really read it. It sent shivers down my spine, in any case...


Some say there have been cases of mistaken identity in these killings?

If they have the facts, why don’t they file a case in court or come to me and show to me? Why can’t they do that?

I remember the case of (human-rights worker Rashid) Manahan. He had received death threats in Cotabato. When he was killed in my city, they say I ordered the killing. Putang ina! Why would I kill a poor guy who was just working for an NGO? If you want, I’ll line up all the human-rights commissioners and kill them all.

They say you don’t touch the big fish.


Puta… I don’t hit the big fish? Hesusmaryosep! I know I cannot get (industrialist Jesus) Ayala and (banana magnate Antonio) Floirendo because they don’t use drugs!

How safe is Davao City?


Very safe, I would say, except for the terrorists. But the common crimes like snatching… That’s petty. I cannot kill a human being just because he stole small items. That’s too expensive a payment. I deal with kidnappers, especially people who kill, or people who rape and kill.

They make your blood boil.


I’m like that. It’s my human nature. And you know human nature is part of your character. That’s my persona.

What has changed about you since you first ran for mayor,
since you were a prosecutor?


I hate to mention this because I’m not trying to make a big issue out of it. I grew up with politics because my father was governor. So practically I have a good training about how to deal with problems of people.

My hatred of criminals – that’s what changed Davao. If I have not improved the lot of the poor folk there at Boulevard, it’s simply because of the economy. But what actually, to me, made the difference is at least the criminals here are afraid of the law. Here, if you are a police officer and you steal from a civilian, putang ina, I’m going to kill you. God, I will! I’ll M16 you in public.

You know, governance or whatever in public office — it’s all about sense and sensibility. That is all that is needed. I am proud that I walk the extra mile to see to it that this city is peaceful.

We’d like to make this clear: Each time you say you’d kill somebody….


That is all talk! (Laughs.)

But isn’t that a form of taking the law into your own hands?


No, it’s a form of a threat, instilling fear in the minds of criminals. So, if you are a journalist, if you are an ordinary citizen, why should you be afraid? Unless you believe your mayor is a candidate for a mental asylum. (Laughs.) Why would you be afraid each time I say, “You criminals are sons of bitches! I’m going to kill all of you!”? If you’re afraid, then you must be a criminal.

Doesn’t that put you in danger of being implicated if
something happens to these people after you say those things?


You know, guilt is personal. Remember that it’s a principle of criminal law. Guilt is personal. There is no guilt by association just because I’m the mayor talking here nonsense.

Each time I threaten them, there’s always a qualification: “You terrorists, putang ina, I’m going to kill you!” As you see, they end up dead. (Laughs.)

What happens if you’re no longer mayor? The fear by the criminals could be of you, not the law. What happens if you’re no longer there and the person who replaces you is not as strong as —


Putang ina, even if I’m asleep, wake me up and I’ll deal with it. (Laughs.) I’m never afraid of criminals, even when I was not yet a mayor. When I was a prosecutor, I kicked a man in the chest inside the court room.

Were you cited in contempt?


Of course! (Laughs.) I was a prosecutor and I was in jail. (Laughs.)

Why can’t you just prosecute these criminals, bring them to justice?


Some of them are dead. The others, we’re still going to kill them.

Were you frustrated with the legal system?


I began as a prosecutor, right? So take it from me. When I was a prosecutor for 10 years, this thing called guilt – that’s always an 80-20 proposition and all you have to do is to create doubt. And because of stringent regulations about right to counsel, information, due process and everything – these are so limited. What can you get from a terrorist during 36 hours of detention? Let’s be frank. What can you get?

The judicial process is too complicated?


It’s not just that. It’s the law itself. Because government is supposed to be powerful it owns everything but there’s a barrier and that barrier is the Bill of Rights. It protects the citizens from abusive excesses, inordinate exercise of power. The problem is, they abuse it, so the criminals are in and out of prison. That’s what I hate about it.

Let’s put it this way. I am not about ready to admit any particular killing here. (Laughs.) I can go to prison. What I’m trying to say is that I’m trying hard to make everybody realize, both the civilians and criminals, that if you commit a serious crime, you’ll just have to pay for it. Maybe inside the prison or maybe lose your funds or lose your life.

How do you know that your threats against criminals are working?


Look around. Compare it to other places. How could you not see it? Go around the city…

Have you given up on due process?


No, I should not waive anything there in the Bill of Rights. I think that we should observe it strictly. But if you do not leave room for me to exercise my discretion of human rights or if you do not give me that space, if you box me in one corner, you do not leave me an elbow room to give you, to afford you that right, in the end, you will lose everything… maybe including your life.

But what about the children? Many of those killed were minors.

(Stammers.) That’s a collateral… social problem. It becomes a collater… collateral itself. Its not a question of crime anymore. That’s what makes things difficult. Well, that is another problem. I cannot answer that. (davaotoday.com)

9 comments:

MayaFlaminda said...

you should have seen him on his tv show when he said "putang ina" so many times it was the talk of the city for the next weeks. Abs Cbn Davao was made a fool.

Pieter said...

Wat denk je, Maya? Hij lijkt me rijp voor internering, maar de mensen hebben hem graag, niet?

dansword said...

Acclaimed by Time Magazine as the "Punisher", Mayor Rodrigo Duterte is also the name synonymous to the word "hero" in modern times. How many lives were either saved or spared by his hard stance against criminal elements that will potentially harm the innocent DavaoeƱoes . His peace and order program is excellent. His governance is geared towards the direction of repelling in all possible ways graft and corruption. The mayor's words may not be the black letter of the law but he is advocate to the laws and the Constitution. He is the need of our times, being champion to the less in life and the oppressed. His leadership is beyond question. He is not hypocrite... of course, this is one thing that I like the most. Think of other politicians, nationally or locally elected. They give you nice words, oft-repeating and boring but they hide under a stinking shadow. In Davao City, we declare war against criminals. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.

Unknown said...

I do agree with him when he said that if you are a regular person who did not commit a crime, then you shouldn't be afraid. I would love to live in Davao (if I have the money to start a life there).

I also agree with him that the Bill of Rights should be followed strictly. The reason why it's so hard to rely on Philippine laws is that a criminal can go free because of technicalities. Here in Manila, do you honestly think that if you were mugged, then you go to the police, they would blotter the guy, much less take action on it? I don't think so.

But, assuming arguendo he really does control the DDS, there has to be a difference between a hungry petty thief stealing for food and a drug lord who intentionally corrupts people for money. ASSUMING he does control DDS, he must be able to exercise that discretion.

Unknown said...

I'm never afraid of killings in Davao City, my grandparents are located in boulevard area and I can say I've seen a lot. Even inside my grandparents "majhong" people had been shot and yeah sometimes it's scary but it's ok coz' they're drug addicts. No need to be afraid if you're playing with the drug addicts or killer at that time coz' they surely knows who they will kill, they walk right in front or at the back and shot the head or body about 5 steps away or even closer so it's a direct shot. After that the killer will just walk away they never run... and also there's a tip for all those who will be killed, they have the list of names, so if you've been given a warning be sure to stop what you're doing and hide (if you can hide)
I've been playing target shooting with my father and brother, and we've been with the snipers.I can say, they shot really good. No need to be afraid if you're a good citizen. Snipers are also normal people.
My uncle is a drug addict before, he was told that he was in the list to be killed, so he stopped being one, now he's still alive. So, if people value their life in davao, they should be a good citizen.

Detective crime said...

Rodrigo Duterte Mayor of Davao city is a Bruut Killer hi need to be in jail i am a foreigner i have investegate Duterte and his DDS killer team for more then 7 years Duterte is a notorious sick mental ill monster who kills or order to kill every body who is in his way

Detective crime said...

Hallo Pieter ja je hebt gelijk die Duterte is een moordenaar en hij is nooit voor een rechter verschene voor al zijn moorden hij heeft zijn DDS die de moorden voor hem uit voeren , ik kan herineren dat een bekende radio DJ van davao eens een grapje op de radio maakte over Duterte 2 dagen klater was de DJ dood voor een verkeers licht een kogel door zijn hoofd geshoten opgracht gever Duterte. ik begrijp niet dat de Human rights niets doet tegen die man hij praat altijdt over drug and criminals maar hij is self een criminal en drugs dealer je kan van duterte shabu en alles kopen wat hij van dealers weg neemt hij self is een drugs lord . ik heb meer maals de Human right informeert en bewijs matriaal toe gezonde maar tot op hede hebben ze nooit wat ondernomen tegen die Duterte

Unknown said...

I AM AN AFRICAN AMERICAN AND I LIVED IN THE PHILIPPINES FOR 8 MONTHS,MARRIED TO A PINAY,AND WITH THE CRIME I SAW LIVING IN PAMPANGA,THEY NEED A MAYOR LIKE HIM THAT CAN CRACKDOWN ON THE CORRUPTION AND CRIME THAT GOES ON THERE.
FILIPINO'S A BASICALLY GOOD PEOPLE BUT,NO MATTER WERE YOU GO,THERE IS ALWAYS KNUCKLE HEADS LOOKING TO DO SOME CRIME AGAINST THE GOOD PEOPLE,AND THAT MY FRIENDS CALLS FOR A MAN THAT IS NOT AFRAID AND WILL STAND UP AGAINST THEM!
PEACE BY WITH YOU AND YOUR FAMILY MR. RODRIGO DUTERTE.

BossJovi said...

for thoe who criticized duterte,,FUCK YOU.. u dont know how he make davao from nothing to something..how safety and progressive it is.. FUCK YOU..mind first ur mayor,,not somebody else!