Saturday, May 10, 2008

Kalooy sa Dyos

Last Sunday Father Elias took us to a mess in one of the baryos just outside Davao City. A 'baryo' or 'barangay' is the smallest unit of local government in the Philippines. One might compare it to a village, although I have the impression that the term 'baryo' has a specific connotation. In essence, everyone lives in a baryo - the one we live in is called 'Pampanga' - but when people say they are going to 'a baryo', that usually refers to villages that are farther removed from urban centres. It was the very first time for us to go to a baryo so we were really excited about that. Most of our time will be spent in baryos in Mount Apo so it was certainly interesting to visit one near Davao City. Father Elias spreached mess in Cebuano to some 50 members of the community gathered in and outside a small chapel in the centre of the village. Although our Cebunao course still had to start at that time, my christian upbringing helped me to understand some parts of the service. The structure of the mess was very familiar to me and I more or less knew what was being said at hinging moments of the service. As the songs were written on blackboards in the chapel we could figure out some words. God is referred to either as 'Ginoong' (the lord) or as 'Dyos' (God). As in many languages, references to God have found their way into everyday language in expression such as 'Salamat sa Dyos kay Byernes karon' ('thank God it's Friday') or in the particle 'pohon' which is sometims added to statements about the future: 'hangtud ugma pohon' ('see you tomorrow if God is willing'). Religion is strongly present in everyday life with patron saints being celebrated in each baryo or people making a small cross across their chest while passing a church in a jeepney. I enjoyed witnessing the mess in the baryo because church services are important moments in community life. It is a time to greet each other and - due to our presence - also greet strangers :) I cannot really explain why, but although I wouldn't call myself religious I always feel strangely at ease after a church service even if don't understand much of it. I am sometimes even tempted to think that the content of a service is not even that important - wishful thinking, I know :). To me, the most important moment of a church service is the communion, sharing the bread. Sometimes I even regret not being religious, mainly because is it such a basic experience for so many people which I have a feeling I will never truly understand. Well, who knows...

No comments: