Sunday, May 25, 2008

My New Place

Wednesday evening I moved to a new place not too far from the missionary house and the language school. My new neighbourhood is called doña asuncion and the house is located in Santa Ana Avenue. As you can see on the Google Earth map, it is very close to the Davao airport so I guess I'll have to cling on to my earplugs :) It's really a nice neighbourhood and there's always a pleasant ambiance in the streets with their many shops and playgrounds.


I'm living with the Cuizon family constisting of nanay (mother) Marlene, tatay (father) Rudy and their children Junjun and Tata. It is a warm and kind family and they go out of their ways to make me feel at home. I really admire their hospitality, certainly because I often have the impression that they are concerned that their house may not be up to western standards. That said, I think it is a lovely home and I feel well at ease here.

My new family also introduced me to a favourite Filipino passtime: Karaoke! I was warned beforehand that Filipinos are fond of karaoke, but up till now we somehow managed to steer clear of having a microphone pushed in our hands. However, moving to a family whose price possession is a state-of-the-art karaoke machine may have been pushing my luck just a little bit too far, so yesterday evening I found myself browsing through a 4000-songs catalogue to pick a song that would not inflict any permanent ear damage on my hosts :) I picked a suitable song for the occasion: No woman, no cry :)

4 comments:

nele said...

"No women no cry" was in Iriba -als ik me niet vergis tenminste- onder de expats een hele discussie.
De optimisiten dachten dat het er om ging dat je niet moest treuren omdat je geen vrouw had.
De realisten onder ons -waaronder ik mezelf reken- gaan er vanuit dat je, als je geen vrouw hebt tenminsten ook geen problemen hebt.

Ik hoop alleen dat ik me niet beledigd hoef te voelen :)

Goedels said...

Ik herinner me nog de vele, redelijk valse, gezangen die ik in Vietnam hoorde. Succes met die karaoketoestanden!

Het het in Plett met Ayanda over egoïsme gehad en moest aan jou denken ... :)

Pieter said...

Dag Nele,

misschien kan ik een beetje opheldering in de discussie brengen: 'no woman, no cry' betekent in Jamaicaans Engels 'No woman, don't cry'. De rest van de tekst is 'Please little darling, don't shed no tears'. Ik vond het een gepast nummer omdat ik vreesde dat mijn kersverse nanay mijn gezang misschien moeilijk zou kunnen verteren :) Positieve kant van de zaak: Bob Marley zingt helemaal niet over huilen om een vrouw, dus je hoeft je helemaal niet beledigd te voelen ;)

groetjes,

Pieter.

Lie said...

Hey Pieter,

ik heb in de aanschijn van Ingrid's paarse haren redelijk wat fictieve weddenschappen afgesloten, maar aan de deze zou ik toch fameeeuuuus wat geld verloren hebben. Het doet me God's gevoel voor humor alweer wat herwaarderen. Keep up the good work!
Toedels,


Lie.